After the stone tower of St John the Baptist fell into disuse as a lighthouse, it was replaced at first by a primitive oil lamp suspended in the dunes to mark the sandbars at the river mouth. Two years later a 10-metre tower was mounted above a keeper’s cottage but this became masked when the maritime hospital was built in 1861 and a new, taller tower was constructed in 1868. The two buildings, referred to locally as father and son (le père et fils), stood next to each other until they were dynamited by the Germans in 1944. The current concrete lighthouse, designed by Georges Tourry, was completed in 1951 and is 45 metres high. Its light can be seen from a distance of 24 nautical miles (44 km).
Banksy, who "is not represented by any of the commercial galleries that sell his work second hand (including Lazarides Ltd, Andipa Gallery, Bank Robber, Dreweatts etc.)", claims that the exhibition at Vanina Holasek Gallery in New York City (his first major exhibition in that city) is unauthorised. The exhibition featured 62 of their paintings and prints.
En saisissant mon adresse e-mail et en cliquant sur le bouton « Demandez », j’accepte qu’Avenso GmbH m’envoie régulièrement par e-mail des informations sur les produits suivants : tirages photo, photo sur verre acrylique, photo sur alu Dibond, événements exclusifs & recommandations d’experts. Je peux à tout moment révoquer mon consentement vis-à-vis d’Avenso GmbH.