After the stone tower of St John the Baptist fell into disuse as a lighthouse, it was replaced at first by a primitive oil lamp suspended in the dunes to mark the sandbars at the river mouth. Two years later a 10-metre tower was mounted above a keeper’s cottage but this became masked when the maritime hospital was built in 1861 and a new, taller tower was constructed in 1868. The two buildings, referred to locally as father and son (le père et fils), stood next to each other until they were dynamited by the Germans in 1944. The current concrete lighthouse, designed by Georges Tourry, was completed in 1951 and is 45 metres high. Its light can be seen from a distance of 24 nautical miles (44 km).
Baru retorted by countering the Minister of State in a manner that showed he had little or no regards for the man who handed over to him as GMD. It took the intervention of the President to nip the festering rumpus in the bud. With this new development, it is clear that the presidential truce brokered between the two was just for the camera as both of them are yet to sheathe their daggers but only waiting for the slightest opportunity to drive it into each other’s heart. (The Capital)
Many rural towns have begun using murals to create tourist attractions in order to boost economic income. Colquitt, Georgia, is one such town. Colquitt was chosen to host the 2010 Global Mural Conference. The town has more than twelve murals completed, and will host the Conference along with Dothan, Alabama, and Blakely, Georgia. In the summer of 2010, Colquitt will begin work on their Icon Mural.
De retour dans son atelier Stéphane troque son crayon pour ses pinceaux jusqu’à plus d’heure ; il aime prendre son temps. Le trait est fin, les détails léchés, au point de pouvoir compter les poils. Mais ce sont généralement les yeux de l’animal qui fascine le spectateur. Un regard sauvage que Stéphane dépeint avec justesse avec un petit supplément d’émotion.
During World War II the sea front was disrupted by the installation of the Nazi Atlantic Wall and the town suffered from bombing during the allied invasion in 1944. This contributed to the diminishing of the ancient fishing industry, which numbered some 150 boats at the turn of the century, and had all but disappeared by the 1960s. Today, although the hospital sector remains economically important, the town has again promoted itself as a tourist attraction. A seaside bathing station, with an immense beach of fine sand on the Opal Coast, it continues to be a centre for sand yachting and the new sport of surfboarding. The former Berck Plage railway station has been converted into a casino.